Google
Custom Search

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Yes, the campaign against intellectual freedom in Canada DOES affect the United States

At MercatorNet Brian Lilley, Ottawa Bureau Chief of Astral Media Radio, writes

Speaking with Mark Steyn at an event in Ottawa, I explained my sacking of Rome theory; that these small battles against free speech in nations such as Britain and Canada were like the battles that led up to the sacking of Rome. Those battles weakened the Empire and eventually led to the fall of Rome itself. Steyn agreed. America, he says, is foolish to think that it can and will prevail as the one outpost of free speech if all the other Western nations fall. Already campus speech codes, hate speech laws, historic revisionism and multiculturalism have left Americans unsure of what is acceptable to say, think or write. If the trends in Canada and Britain continue, people in America may soon be asking if what they want to say, think or write is legal.
Lilley introduces "libel tourism" - you need to know about that if you are a writer.

Go here ("A Shadow falls across Canada ...") and here ("Misreading the 'human' face of fascism") for my own posts on how to understand the current campaign to suppress free speech on behalf of the "human right" not to be offended.

Friday night, I got a standing ovation for my plenary talk that featured intellectual freedom at Write! Canada, and I will post that talk later.

By the way, I don't know if anyone noticed that I have installed PayPal. If you would like to help me continue to afford to maintain blogs, please consider using the PayPal button now and then. Reading news that interests you may be free to you, but research and writing it is not free to me.

Also, if you want to know why there is an intelligent design controversy, read:

Labels: ,

Who links to me?